Thursday, June 27, 2013

Black Voices: Writer/Activist Patricia Elaine (Rose) Chandler

This post is part of a series of posts in protest of John Elder Robison's "The Myth of the Black Aspergian" two part article, in which Mr. Robison engages in speculation on the existence of people of color with Asperger's Syndrome, and further implies disturbing reasons as to why they do not seem prominent or vocal in the community. They are here with strong voices,  Mr. Robison is just not listening. Patricia, who is an activist and writer, in response to Mr. Robison's articles said :

"In keeping with what is Real, Authentic and True, I would actually like to Dedicate little Essay to Mr. Elder-Robison to Open His Mind, Heart and Senses so he too can be educated about what a Spectrum IS! And invite him for a Real Conversation!"

 Gentle people, in her own words, Patricia Elaine Chandler on the singular experience of being in the ebb and flow of The 2011 Newark New Jersey Peace Education Summit. Enjoy



There Is No Box!
Patricia expresses who she is in a powerful photographic statement
that combines jewelry and body art ©Patricia Elaine Chandler
Attaining Universal Peace, which is the Single Heart-Beat of Every Human Being, and what makes US One, is like Sand-Pebbles in a Sand-Box, representing all the Souls on Earth. In the Sand-Box are 7 Billion individual Sand-Pebbles, 6 billion are Black on one side and White on the other, and 1 billion are on the Endless Spectrum, in Color.
The Black and White ones really Hate being Who they are because they Know in their Hearts, Being in Color is the Way the Source intended it all along, though they cannot seem to reconcile with Real Change; because they have been Black and White for So long, becoming "Comfortable" and unfortunately, "Complacent", in their existence of Being Simply Black and White. They know nothing is Simply Black and White. And this is why the Color Sand-Pebbles must work harder than ever before. The Colorful Ones Know that All Beings are "In Color", which is Being Truly In Love with Self, first, and their Hearts Bleed, non-stop, for the Black and White Ones because they know they are just simply Color-Blind, in their Hearts.
Knowing this, the Color Sand-Pebbles Must Strive into Action, relentlessly, fearlessly, unwavering, magnificently, boldly, loudly, uncomfortably, disruptively, humbly, triumphantly, physically, mentally, emotionally, Spiritually, to Show the Way back home to Being In Color, In Love, for PEACE through Leading By Example; every single moment like every time we take a Breath of Sound, the 1st Element of Life. Can you truly iMaGINE how difficult it must be, trying to Show Humanity as a Colorful Sea of Peaceful, Loving Souls, to just even 1 Black and White Soul who is Color-Blind? There's a 1 in 7 Billion chance it will happen and though the odds are stacked against the Color Sand- Pebbles being swallowed up and lost in the Sand-Box, among the Black and White Sand-Pebbles, “Where There is the Will, There is the Way!”
The booklet cover art of the 3 days of Divine Events of “The 2011 Newark New Jersey Peace Education Summit”, sumed up, for Me, Peace is not Color-Blind, as the Souls of Newark NJ represented their True Colors to a World that only sees the Issues and Challenges of Newark as Black And White. Nothing is ever just Simply Black And White. I believe Technology was given to us as a Temporary Fix, to Wake Us Up, providing Bold, Brilliant, Colorful Beings, which created Sound, to bring the Earth Back together, so we can All go back to Playing in the Sand-Box, Together, where Black and White and Color does not actually exist, Only PEACE and LOVE, in the Hearts of 7 Billion Souls! That is why, I believe, the Tele-Vision went from Black and White to Techni-Color, 40 years ago. We needed to be Shown, All Souls exist on the Same Spectrum and that Spectrum is simply LIGHT, Bright and Brilliant.
Whether Black and White or Color, you cannot see or know anything, especially Peace, in the Dark. We must do everything in our individual and collective Power to make sure the Earth exists on the Light Spectrum and PEACE is the Only Way to The Light. Hope for Peace possible for Tomorrow, is evidenced in the picture I took at the end of
the summit, after seeing and meeting Miss. Jeanette Seabrooks of Dayton Street School in Newark NJ and their beautiful tribute to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, created by her students. I see them as Peace Warriors of Today, to become Peace Leaders for Tomorrow, and this is their Homage to His Holiness the Dalai Lama, the honored guest of the Summit for PEACE. They are Doing Today, for Tomorrow.
Autistic or Not, This is Why I Will Be a Teacher, too! Thank You Ganden Thurman, of Tibet House NYC, from the top, center and bottom of My Heart, for providing this Real opportunity to be in Peace and Play Nice in the Same Sand-Box with my Fellow Sand-Pebbles for 3 Divine Days, which will stay with Me and Push Me on into Action for the rest of my Life.
It was a true, divine experience for Me, and I will be eternally grateful and humbled by this experience, to be among the Peace Leaders of the World, Today and Tomorrow, and I Felt His Holiness the Dalai Lama’s Blessing for My continued Journey to Peace, Love and The Light! I think God created the Sand-Box, and as our Souls grow, so will the Box, and the Space between each Sand-Pebble, because in God's Eyes and Heart, There Really Is No Box! Growth is Infinite, so we Begin, Again, at 7, today!
I AM just a Single Sand-Pebble on the Autism Spectrum of Autistic Light, in Support, Care and Love in Peace, for All the Other Autistic Sand-Pebbles on the Spectrum of Light! I AM Patricia Elaine Chandler, A future Student-Teacher-Singer-Advocate-Activist of Yours sincerelyX, authenticallyX, divinelyX, spirituallyX and Unconditionally LovinglyX!

Patricia Elaine (Rose) Chandler
|Brooklyn, New York |USA|7Jun2013

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful. Forever working on keeping my Mind and my Heart more Open. Thank you, Kerima and Patricia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brenda :) and Kerima, a thousand THANK YOUS will never be enough! This is BEAUTIFUL!!! <3 ..... Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your light with all of us Patricia <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have written a nice essay, but it's unclear what you are protesting in regard to my "Black Aspergian" essay. That story is over 4 years old, and represented my observations at the time - to wit - I saw very few black males with Asperger's relative to other populations.

    I wrote a follow on story suggesting black males with Asperger's are likely to be punished for acting different, and events in the news these past four years have supported that viewpoint.

    It's not clear to me why you would choose to protest such old articles now, but I would be interested in your reasons and thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your comments Mr. Robison. As you know, on the internet, articles are not old, they live forever. On any given day, neurodiverse people of color everywhere are just one Google search away from that four year old two part article. What you wrote at the time drew a huge number of extremely racist comments and this is a clear sign that whatever you intended to write was not understood as you have explained it above. I will leave it to our Austists of Color to explain their points of view.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So if I understand you, Kerima, it sounds like it was not my stories that bothered you but the sometimes shocking and offensive reader responses that resulted.

    As I said above, I don't think there should be anything offensive in my observations from the first essay. I saw what I saw, and commented accordingly. But readers twisted that in some ugly ways.

    Then in the next story I suggested young adults who were white and different got help, while their black peers got punishment and that produced even more offensive commentary. But the sad truth is . . . that is reality. Since writing that story I have assisted the defense of several young adults on the spectrum who were - in my opinion - in trouble because they looked or acted "wrong" - in part because they were autistic but also because they were the "wrong" color.

    That is a tragedy

    The number of minorities with neurological differences in prison vs whites - some studies have shown a 6:1 imbalance in favor of a minority population. The incarceration statistics are a shock and they prove my point. I have spoken out about the wrongness of this in the past and continue to do so when presented an opportunity.

    What's worse is the ugly way some of our public reacts. It shows you how very far we have to go in America.

    You took offense at responses to this story, but I'd like to draw your attention to another story that got an even more offensive set of comments. If you google "autism violence" the first hit is a story I wrote in defense of our population after the "killer autistic" talk that followed the Newtown murders.

    http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/06/opinion/robison-autism-violence

    That story got over 500 comments and the ignorance, brutishness, and absence of compassion is some of them is just stunning to me.

    And I'd say the same thing about that story . . . I had a good, true message - that autism does not make people into mass murders - but some readers twisted it so far as to be unrecognizable.

    I try to express myself clearly, carefully, and with respect to others, but I cannot control what others make of my words. My stories were never intended as anything but a reasoned attempt to open a dialogue about something I found troubling, and still do.

    Best wishes
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Robison,

      I would like you and I to continue this dialogue in a fashion and forum that will serve the needs of the Global Communities that encompasses the Autistic, Aspergers and Neurotypical environments.

      I would love for us to partake in a live debate, via Usteam, entitled: "Autism and Mainstream Society: The Cultural and Ethnic Missing Link". The AWN has graciously agreed to host this event, with Kerima Cevik as the overall Event Leader and Coordinator. The event moderate is TBD.

      In order to have adequate planning and organizing for a successful event, I am looking at November 2013, the specific day TBD.

      I feel and believe that this topic is far too important to be casually discussed back and forth in a virtual blog. Being a Woman of Color, turning 50 in November and Naturally Autistic, I owe it to you, Our Global Community and myself to dispell the Myth of People of Color on the Autism Spectrum.

      You are in a position of authority and with that position comes great responsibility; there is, today, nothing casual about being on the Spectrum and the Words we use have a permanently lasting impression. Your words Mr. Robison, are read and heard by many and based on the words in your article, you owe it to me to have the respectful, intellectual and humane right to respond.

      This can only be a Win-Win situation, as it will enable Us, together, to continue educating the World. How wonderful that would be, for Neurodiversity!

      Please listen to this Blog Talk Radio show for a Glimpse into Who I Am.

      http://blogtalk.vo.llnwd.net/o23/show/4/907/show_4907801.mp3

      with kindest regards,
      Patricia Elaine Chandler

      Delete
    2. I would be happy to do a program on AWN's BlogTalk Radio in November. You can write me at john@johnrobison.com as we get closer to your planned November time.

      Best wishes
      John

      Delete
    3. Thank you John. We will keep you posted as we get closer to November. Thanks for listening.

      Kerima

      Delete
  7. Wonderful! I will email you shortly, to formally introduce myself, and I look forward to our future communications.

    Sincerely,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete